Thursday, October 22, 2009

Ace in the Hole


I came across the Ace Hotel in Midtown Manhattan in one of my design publications and I just had to share. The design is whimsical and edgy...part old schoolhouse laboratory with a dash of punk. My interior design background began in hospitality design and nothing about this hotel fits into the hospitality design cliche, which I love. This masterpiece is the product of a husband and wife team, Robin Standefer and Stephen Alesch, who together own the design firm Roman and Williams Buildings and Interiors. Their Ace Hotel project is by far one of the most original designs for hospitality I have ever seen!
Be sure to click on the photos to expand in your browser window...there are tons of fun and unexpected details you don't want to miss.
This is the lobby, need I say more? Can't you just hear Social Distortion crackling from an old amp?!
Check out the Greek key mosaic on the floor, the schoolhouse globe pendants and the old slate laboratory tables that were salvaged, wired for lights and given a hip new life. There is even a vintage photo booth!
Standefer describes the lobby as "a combination of a grand European hotel and a big, awesome living room". I love all the vintage finds...antique apothecary cases and jars, taxidermy, old schoolhouse chairs and old commercial signage.
I just purchased some of the antique apothecary jars on top of the 19th century taxidermy cabinet (to the right) and I was so excited to see them used here. The walnut herringbone floors are incredible!

Old laboratory cabinets and a terrarium.
Vintage chair reupholstered in wool plaid and a big black X painted on the back. A vintage blackened-steel apple bin in front of reclaimed oak paneling. Old magazine pages collaged into a cabinet in the reception area. I love all of the materials that were repurposed...good job on being cool and green.
Michael Anderson, an artist, used more than 5,000 copies of graffiti stickers for the collage mural along the staircase up to the mezzanine.

The Breslin Bar and Dining Room. You will also find Stumptown Coffee Roasters set up right in the lobby.
This guest bath looks like an old NY apartment. A reclaimed desk, vintage refrigerator and an antique soda box that houses mini bar treats.
One of the guest rooms. Brilliant art! Anyone else sick of seeing meaningless floral still lifes and bucolic compositions on hotel walls??...I am!!
The guest rooms are eclectic and fun. They are reminiscent of an old apartment, or a rocker's digs. Don't be surprised to find guitars, turn-tables and old vinyl records strewn about as part of the aesthetic.
Guest hangers adorned with and oh-so-clever stamp hanging on powder coated plumbing pipe.

How cool is this hotel!?!

On my next trip to New York I'm definitely checking in!


images and information from Interior Design magazine

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Maria, you don't know me but I came across your blog on Facebook. I love your posts and the way you write, it is so practical! Thanks for sharing =)